Omake is Japanese for "cool extra stuff that you will happily shell out ten times as much money for". The usage I employ here is "random extra crap that doesn't fit anywhere else". These extras are not necessarily supplemental to the commentary itself, but they're useful/amusing things, many/most of which have been generated by me or other members of the FGC community. Here they can, like various more relevant materials, be preserved for as long as this site is online. As with elsewhere, more content will be added over time.
- Die Sterne: Translated Index
- Die Sterne is a large-format collection of NGE illustrations. Most of the book has no text, but it includes an index with basic info on the included pieces. Here is my English translation, complete with bandwidth-devouring thumbnails and the original Japanese as a bonus. Total size is 1226K.
- Evangelion "Clue"
- NGE-themed variation on the popular Parker Brothers™ board game, concocted by LuigiHann and originally posted at ANF.
- Food Court: All Gainax Parodies
- NGE-themed variation on the popular Parker Brothers™ board game, concocted by LuigiHann and originally posted at ANF.
- Girlfriend of Steel 2 FAQ/Walkthrough
- Also featured at GameFAQs.com. Soon after I ... "acquired" the game, I took it upon myself to create a walkthrough for it, since none in English appeared to exist. This was the product of incredible suffering -- I only maintained my sanity by making the walkthrough's narrative as sardonic as possible -- so everyone better appreciate it! ^_^
- Ancient fansub of the real deal. Included because (A) it will never, ever be released overseas, and (B) it is an incredibly weird/interesting view, at least if you are really familiar with the relevant section of #25'. A rather convenient 187 MB.
- "ReDeath" Transcript
- The Almighty "ReDeath", in script form, reverse-engineered from the video by Reichu "mostly for the hell of it". Quite nice to have around, don't you think? Many thanks to Andrew Hosking of Studio Sokodei himself (!!) for providing some of the trickier lines.
Bonus Images & Scans
Please use Getright (or something similar) for these if possible, because the files are "XBOX HUEG". Make sure you have some means of unpacking RAR files, as well.
Out-of-print CD-ROMs catering to the NGE hard-core geeks. Right now, I'm just providing the screenshots and illustrations (which are unbelievably high-quality) straight off the discs, virginic and unsoiled. Just the first three volumes for now, too.
- Info TXT
- Lazily, from a RAR I prepared for a torrent elsewhere (which contains more stuff than you see here).
- Volume 1 [35.9 MB]
- Volume 2 [51.4 MB]
- Volume 3 [50.3 MB]
Scans from groovy, out-of-print geek-stuffs. (In Japanese, BTW.) Most awesomely provided by thekillingmantra (or "mantra", for short) a while back. More to come later.
- Data of Evangelion [48 MB]
- Booklet included with the Renewal DVD-Box that contains info on the set's contents, NGE's release history and the remastering process, full credits for the show, the script for the deleted EoE live action sequence, and the screenshot montages, distorted imagery, and "lots of random quotes and key terms in MS Mincho Bold floating about" that are typical of NGE publications.
- Eva Tomo no Kai [72.1 MB]
- Just to borrow a preexisting description, "a collection of pamphlets ... [that appear] to be a set of fourteen newsletters with some truly bizarre four-panel manga (one being a Charles Shultz parody) as well as boatloads of production information and interviews." They cover the entire series (including EoE), and were included with the original LD (and video?) releases, to be reprinted for the Renewal DVD-Box.
Many of these are relics of forum antics, the best (or worst, as the case may be) of which I've archived here. I've also added the stories behind a lot of them (as best I can remember right now, fu~). Probably should get a separate page or two all to themselves, but there's so little omake right now otherwise, that can come later.
- Dr. Nick: Mr. Greenfingers and the Boy Wonder
- Rather effective parody of the "Mythology of Evangelion", borrowing dialogue from the greatness that is ReDeath.
- Dr. Nick & Reichu: TOUCH YOUR NISSAN (2005/06)
- Don't look at me. This was mostly Dr. Nick's fault. A reference to the Nissan commercial that Anno appeared in, with its strangely ... euphemism-like slogan. Including the actual car was my sole creative contribution.
- Food Court: all Gainax parodies (RAR format)
- Food Court: Dr. Katz
- Food Court: King of the Geofront
- Food Court: Tang
- HeWhoPostsStuff: Gendo O'Kari
- HeWhoPostsStuff: "Luck o' the Irish!"
- Hexon.Arq: Tabris Treats
- ???: Darth Gendo
For a basic primer on 4chan, see the Geektionary. These images are all based on 4chan memes (or, at least, memes commonly associated with 4chan). Many are by "FGC people", although others have been lifted from certain evil image boards. If they don't make any sense, LURK MOAR.
"GO HIKARI", JANUARY 2006
A string that Dr. Nick initiated in the (in)famous "Go Hikari!" image-posting/spam thread, in the order of their creation. And, yes, I realize the irony of including Fuzzy Chickens' captioned pics. He doesn't belong in the debate arena, but his sense of humor is not without merit.
- Dr. Nick: Dilemma (NGE vs. RahXephon) (2006/01/16)
- Dr. Nick: "Okay, the muses took me to a really strange place tonight. ... I'm fairly sure there's a scene like this in Super Robot Wars MX. By the way, if you're not familiar with the meme in question, shame on you."
- Fuzzy Chickens: "killin ur d00dz" (2006/01/18)
- tv33 responded to Dr. Nick's initial image with, "Now all we need is a picture of the JSSDF at NERV with the caption, 'im in ur base, killin ur d00dz' and the madness may yet reach its climax. Oh, who am I kidding; this is the 'Go Hikari!' thread, that’s not likely to ever happen." Two days later, Fuzzy Chickens provided: "Behold the miracle of MSpaint."
- Fuzzy Chickens: "how do I shot gun?" (2006/01/18)
- "And just for added stupidness..." ~ Fuzzy Chickens
- Fuzzy Chickens: "how do I shot spike?" (2006/01/18)
- Because image macros exist to be done to death. Both Reichu and Dr. Nick approved, though, so I got the Fuzzy One's permission to put them here. Said he, "As long as credit is given where credit is due, you can do whatever you want with those pics."
- Dr. Nick: Pyramid Invasion (2006/01/18)
- This one is interesting. Dr. Nick simply announced it with, "A CHALLENGER APPEARS". In response to Reichu's typical "Wahhhhh I don't get it!", Soluzar elaborated: "Nerv HQ is a pyramid. You normally find 'mummies' in a pyramid. ... There is a 'mommy' in Eva-02, and Adam is Kaworu's 'mommy'. Lilith is everyone's 'mommy', in a [sense]. It's kinda funny in a 4Chan sort of way." (And let us not forget that "mummy" is a British variation of "mommy".) Reichu: "...now that you point that out, the captioned image is very consistent with Dr. Nick's inherent genius." And, then, Dr. Nick: "Wowzors. I didn't even consciously think about that stuff when I made that pic, I just copied the text from some other random image macro. ART IMITATES LIFE!"
- Reichu: "how do i shot gun?" (with Soluzar) (2006/01/19)
- Soluzar suggested another (yes, ANOTHER) variation on said meme with Shinji and an Angel. And I was all, "Oooo, leave this one to me." Used EVA-01 instead of Shinji, but I figured I'd credit Soluzar since it's his fault I made this. At this point, Magami said, "I'd do one, but I know this will eventually get tiresome." Reichu agreed.
The tendency to make "capdocs" on a whim started before I actually joined ANF, and they've been a sort of running tradition ever since. The dates for many are taken from the best any relevant File Properties have to offer.
- Adam & Gendo (2004/02)
- I'm apparently not the only one who's had horrible thoughts about the fact that Gendo put Adam in his righty. This is from the days before the "Adam = male" orthodoxy was addressed, but I suppose the irony might make the dialogue more amusing.
- Asu-Ka the Ever-Living (2005/02)
- Twisted crossover between "Asuka the Maggoty" and Mumm-Ra from Thunder-Cats. (If you've never heard of the latter... shame on you!) This was received so poorly at a-l-s.com ("THAT BOARD") when I posted it that the thread was, soon enough, deleted outright. Some people are just no fun at all.
- Asuka and Rei: The Pallette-Swap (2005/05)
- Original from the doujinshi Izurumi Soushuuhen 2. OOC images of Rei and Asuka together are ludicrously ubiquitous, and a pastime of some is doctoring them so that the girls' palettes are swapped. A short game of PhotoShop tennis broke out on a-l-s.com over this particular image: First, someone swapped the eye and hair colors, and then someone else did the suits. (I can't remember the identity of either person.) Just because I could, I did some custom tweakage, with the results you see.
- Asuka's Guide to Rez (2006/09)
- The original image was posted at THAT BOARD, and a captioning content soon ensued. My entry was deemed the winner hands-down -- apparently because I had managed to make a perfectly innocuous image something that could be fapped to. :shifty:
- Bad Boy Shinji (2004/11)
- Being Watched (2001/02) (Remaster: 2006/11)
- Originally made in the Dark Ages of 2001 from a screencap off an absolutely craptastic VHS rip. (Look, and laugh!) Dragged out of the Vault many years later, deemed Worthy, and made new and shiny.
- Bundle of Joy (変な子) (2003/10)
- Original image from Girlfriend of Steel 2. Shin-seiki suggested putting a Sachiel face on Rei's Shinji-spawn, although I can't remember exactly why. The thought was too twisted to not oblige.
- The Devil Herself (2006/01)
- First-ever animated GIF (of the "sequential screenshots + captions" variety), appearing from the depths of my brain due to another outbreak of the "sex of Evas" thing. (At least, I think. I actually can't remember.) It didn't really seem to be noticed, so I took that as meaning "not funny", but I still find it amusingly idiotic enough to include here. Judge for yourself.
- EVA-01 vs. Orochi (NGE vs. Blue Seed) (2003/11)
- Inspired by a thread where, somehow or another, both the Zeruel-eating incident and vegetables occurred in close proximity. (I would need to find it again to reconstruct the "logic".) Mysterious forces of the mind formed a connection between NGE's Angels and the vegetable-based -- okay, plant-based, but who's checking? -- Monsters of the Week™ in Blue Seed, with the results you see. Brownie points if you get the joke with Misato and Koume. (None for spotting the obvious ReDeath ref, though.)
- Even Anno doesn't know (2006/11)
- Prompted by OMF asking about the "Doors of Guf" line in #21'. We can work with the "Doors of Guf" part, but the rest? Not so much. As you can see, even Anno doesn't know what it means -- but we already knew that.
- Evil Manga Kaworu: Pt. 1 • Pt. 2 (Public Service Announcement) (2006/04)
- Just paying my dues to this All-Powerful Meme with my first-evar manga mangling. The first page had actually been around for a while, although Kaworu's dialogue was really lame and is best forgotten (but Shinji still did his thing). Thankfully, in a thread comparing anime-Kaworu to manga-Kaworu, inspiration struck, and the much-needed changes were made. After I posted the pic, Mr. Tines explained (for those who hadn't read the manga) the logic behind Kaworu's felinocide, at which point LuigiHann said, "That's actually extremely deep, and in a sense, well-intentioned, so the 'Evil Manga Kaworu' image suddenly seems really misleading." Pt. 2 was created to compensate for this problem. Fufufu.
- The Floating Head of Zero Doom (2003/??)
- Old one, playing on the Rei 1 in EVA-00 thing. (Yes, that is meant to be EVA-00's naked head. Yes -- it's supposed to be creepy.)
- Girls' Room: Pt. 1 • Pt. 2 (2006/02)
- Not long after certain strange thoughts began popping into my head (the infamous "fem-Kaworu" pet theory), the scene from the manga where Kaworu waltzes into the girls' bathroom suddenly looked ripe for "the usual treatment". I have ideas for a rather impish third page -- and, indeed, for a whole series of "fem-Kaworu" manga manglings -- but, so far, they haven't happened. Well, maybe someday. If we're lucky. >::D
- Hair Club for Evas (with felineki) (2003/10)
- "He's not so bad... " (2006/04)
- Made for a thread where I was challenging the "Gendo = King Bastard" orthodoxy. If you don't get the reference, you suck. </irony>
- Hot Pockets (Wallpaper) (2006/10)
- Assembled to draw attention to Kaji and Kaworu's shared affection for the sticking-hands-into-pockets thing, for the dreadfully (or blissfully?) unfinished "Kaworu-Katsuragi Connection" thread @ EMF. Due to the fact that many people weren't taking the thread seriously, I decided that I wouldn't take my montage seriously, either. This wallpaper is in no way affiliated with HOT POCKETS ® Brand Stuffed Sandwiches, Societe des Produits NESTLÉ S.A., or any of its subsidiaries and all that rubbish.
- "I feeeeel hap-py!" (GNR)(2005/07)
- Created to emphasize the huge, creepy grin on GNR's face as she falls apart into meaty chunks. Not getting the previous reference is forgiveable, but if this one goes past you, you clearly fail as a geek. :wink:
- Inner Lesbian (Kaworu & Rei) (2004/12)
- Cripes, I can't even remember anymore. Poking fun at Rei/Kaworu shipping, apparently, with the obligatory reference to Kaworu's true self. (This was long before the dawn of "fem-Kaworu", BTW.)
- Jive-Ass Turkey (「あんた、ジャイブの穴の七面鳥?!」） (2005/03)
- Probably only amusing if you were around for its creation. There was an EMF thread where I was prompted to look up "baka" (as in Asuka's favorite utterance, "ANTA, BAKA?!?"), and one of the offerings at SpaceAlc was ... "jive-ass turkey". I thought this was funny, so I thought it would be even funnier if she literally said it in Japanese instead of "baka" -- hence, "Anta, jaibu no ketsu no shichimenchou?!" ("What are you, a jive-ass turkey?!")
- Kaworu: A Woman, Deep Down (2004/11) (Remaster: 2005/09)
- You get it, right?
- The Lilim Will Laugh At You (2006/11)
- Due to an EMF thread I made to play around with f-K in a "what if...?" sorta way -- and mess with the heads of anyone who wanted to "take me up on it" -- one of the Young and Innocent began to show signs of genuinely Turning. While such a phenomenon is pleasing to the id, my professional side was obligated to make a feeble attempt to dissuade her, while simultaneously practicing my paultry E→J skills. Kekekeke.
- Making Fireworks (EVA-01 vs. Shamshel) (2004/12)
- A sister image to "Naughty Harpies, Pt. 4", created during the initial commentary process for episode #03. The Eva Series all getting off on shishkabobing their cores make things like Shamshel's inaction once her own gets knifed seem kind of suspicious in retrospect. If you know what I mean.
- Naughty Harpies, Pt. 1: "Get down!"
- Naughty Harpies, Pt. 2: "Let's make out"
- Naughty Harpies, Pt. 3: Girl-on-Girl Pr0n
- Naughty Harpies, Pt. 4: "Oh crap, I'm dead"
- (2003/10) A "systematic presentation of evidence" I made for why the harpies are inherently evil. The first three seem to be more or less forgettable, but the last one tends to make an impression. I have no idea why. No. None at all. Really. (Kekeke.)
- pwnd (Zeruel) (2006/01)
- In "Go Hikari!", millinniummany3 posted (in response to "Red Herrings"), "You, madam, win teh Internet. Insert Eva related pwned image here." So I provided one, just for the hell of it. About as generic as you can get -- but also about as pwnd as you can get. (Until teeth get involved, that is.)
- Red Herrings (2006/01)
- The sort of variation on the Yakov Smirnoff joke probably only Reichu could possibly come up with. I was having a debate with OMF (here) and I suggested that he was chasing a red herring. This image inexplicably popped into my head as a result.
- REI Ver. 3.0 (2005/12)
- The scene from episode #23, finally the way it was meant to be! (Dialogue needs work in some places, but whatever.)
- Rei's Bad Eye Day （怖い瞳） (2004/02)
- IIRC, from a discussion about the "smiling Rei" scene in episode #05 vs. the completely redone version in DEATH. Some were expressing a preference for the original, whereas others felt that she was creepy. But I didn't think that she was as creepy as she could be.
- Ritsuko's Good Hair Day(2005/08)
- Just because I think Ritsuko looks better ("hawter", if you will) with her natural hair color, and this was always a cute shot of her.
- REIsistance is Futile (2006/11)
- The original Collector's Disc image was posted at THAT BOARD, and a user named M_E posted a comment that prompted immortalization via captioned image. However, it turned out that a mere caption was not enough -- those Rei could not be left untouched. (No, not like that, you perv.) Among the modifications thusfar are three 4chan memes and whatever other randomness came to mind. I'm hoping that more inspiration strikes in the future, since there is plenty of room for expansion.
- Sachiel goes :blink blink: (animated GIF)
- Made to illustrate a more probable method of "blinkage" for Sachiel than what DOES show up in episode #01.
- "Shall we dance, Shin-chan?" (2003/09)
- Doctored from a GOS2 image in response to Shinji/Rei shipping. There was more to it than that, but I forget.
- Shinji's Private Hobby (あの...あたし...) (2001/07)
- My very first doctored NGE image, if memory serves, from days of pre-ANF innocence circa 2001. The dialogue means, "Um... I...", but the joke is "lost in translation": Japanese provides various options for expressing the concept of "I", and atashi is one only chicks are supposed to use.
- Three Rei (三つのレイ) (2003/10)
- Sister image to the Floating Head. I always thought the Chibi-Zero was cute, but not everyone agrees with me on this.
- Tampons, please! (2003/11) (Remaster: 2005/11)
- Probably one of the more infamous ones. It seems to show up whenever the matter of Lilith's bleeding is mentioned (even in the capacity of an aid in serious discussion), for some reason...
- Troll in Tokyo-3 (2004/12)
- Created in response to Fuzzy Chickens' invasion of ANF, with some sort of twisted metaphor in mind. I found the "Goth Troll" image through Google (what else?). The stuff the troll is saying is extremely random and of no particular consequence, but it felt appropriate at the time.
- What Gendo Really Said (「本当に…あのばあさんと同じだ」) (2005/03)
- Threads on the subject are a dime a dozen, and suggestions about what Gendo said too many to count. I offered up something I hadn't heard before, that Gendo basically told Ritsuko that she wasn't any different from her mom, thus confirming one of Ricchan's own worst fears. Due to the fact that I spend so much time (relatively speaking) with the original Jap script, a line popped into my head in raw Nihongo ("Hontou ni... ano baasan to onaji da", or, "To be honest, you're just like that old hag"), so I made the usual gratuitous captioned image. (With a little doctoring that one or two people actually fell for.) If virtually no one can read it -- oh, well. It looks cool. (BTW, I don't actually think Gendo says this; in fact, I don't think I think anything at all.)
- Woman Solicits Penguin For Sex! (2004/09) (Remaster: 2006/05)
- Don't worry. I don't understand it, either.
- "Yui-sama Does Not Approve!" (2006/04)
- For a lame thread that got deleted. I believe LuigiHann's response was, "I take that as, 'Yo mama does not approve!' :lol:"
- Yui's Entrance (Slight Touch-up) (2005/07)
- Created because some aspects of the original, namely the eyes, always annoyed the hell out of me and WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX IT FOR THE NPC DAMMIT!!!!! So, I took matters into my own Photoshop. Ahhh, that's much better.
- Zero with Sign (2003/10)
- Combination of a real plastic toy (no, you can't have it), construction paper, and crappy Photoshop work. Yeah, it's old. I think it's still funny, though.
This would fall under the category of "humor". Of course, different people have different ideas of what is funny, so if you don't laugh, or even have a psychic chuckle -- oh, well. There is a lot of written material in various forum threads that deserves to be here, but, alas, yet another of those dratted long-term goals... Please suggest things to put here -- along with providing any needed link(s) -- since they're badly needed.